At the Moreland Relationships Friendship Committee meeting held on 29 April 2010, the Committee requested this report be represented with amended recommendations.
The Pallaconian Brotherhood, on behalf of the City of Sparta, has invited Council to select between 10 -15 school age children (Years 9 and 10) to take part in a 10 day education exchange to Sparta, Greece between 20 to 30 August 2010. This initiative would provide an opportunity to strengthen Moreland’s sister city relationship with the City of Sparta and give children a wonderful learning experience. It is envisaged that if Council accepts this invitation that Sparta will expect some reciprocation in coming years by Council contributing $5,000 towards the cost of any such visit.
The City of Sparta will finance all costs of the education exchange, apart from air fares to and from Melbourne and travel insurance. The Pallaconian Brotherhood have requested that Council contribute to the cost of the airfares for the students and teachers. It is proposed that Council contribute $12,000 towards the cost of the project from the 2010-2011 sister cities budget and that parents contribute approximately $1,000 towards costs for their child. In the event that parents of selected children are unable to afford the full $1,000, on the basis of low incomes, it is recommended that the grants program (achievement section) be allocated to supplement the parents’ contribution.
Cr Pryor moved, Cr Helou seconded that –
1. To support the Sparta Sister City student exchange.
2. To allocate up to $5,000 from the 2010 - 2011 Sister Cities budget towards the cost of the project to match the contribution by the Pallaconian Brotherhood.
3. That should a return visit be arranged by the City of Sparta, the sum of $5,000 be allocated from the Sister Cities budget.
4. To form a working group made up of Department of Education, Council, Pallaconian Brotherhood representation, including one Councillor to oversee the project, including the selection of the students.
5. That a full report be presented to Council after the return of the education delegation.